International Baccalaureate – The Community Project
The Community Project is an important aspect of the Middle Years Program (MYP). This compulsory subject will begin for our Year 9 students in 2022.
The Community Project is a student-centred project. It enables students to engage in practical explorations through a cycle of inquiry, action and reflection.
Through the project, students will continue to develop the IB Learner Profile attributes and demonstrate the approaches to learning (ATL’s) skills you have developed throughout the MYP.
All Year 9 students complete the Community Project. The project can be completed in groups of no more than three, as pairs or as individuals. The student will be provided with one 80 minute time slot on their timetable to complete the project over the course of the term. Work outside of the classroom will also be required to successfully complete the project.
The project focuses on community and service, encouraging students to research and act on an area of service in their community. To consolidate their learning, students will engage in an in-depth inquiry, culminating in an exhibition evening where their project is presented to families.
Assessment of their achievements will be undertaken at the presentation.
The aims of the Community Project are to encourage and enable students to:
- Participate in a sustained, self-directed inquiry within a global context.
- Generate creative new insights and develop deeper understandings through in-depth investigation.
- Demonstrate the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to complete a project over an extended period of time.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrate responsible action through, or as part of, learning.
- Appreciate the process of learning and take pride in their accomplishments.
To read more please follow this link.